Old control tower at the Chinisia-Trapani Airport.
Trapani-Chinisia (Also known as Borrizo airfield) was a airport located in the village of Rilievo, 16km south of Trapani, Italy
The airfield was an important airfield of the Regia Aeronautica, the Royal Italian Air Force, in the 1930s an the Second World War, with the runway in Borgo Rizzo.
The airfield was captured by the US Army in 1943 after the invasion of Sicily, who named it Borizzo Airfield, after the village of Borgo Rizzo.
USAAFs Twelfth Air Force 316th Troop Carrier Group, which flew C-47 Skytrains, used the airfield between 18 October 1943 and 12 February 1944.
When the Americans pulled out the airfield was handed back to the Italians who rebuilt the airport in 1949.
The rebuilt airfield was inaugurated in 1949 as a military airport in place of the military airport of Trapani-Milo used thus far.
It was named in honour of Italian aviation pioneer Livio Bassi.
From 1955 the airfield began to be used as a civilian airport for regional airports and Pantelleria.
The aiport operated both military and commercial flights until 1961 when the new Trapani-Birgi Airport was opened.
Military flights continued until its disposal at the end of the 1970s, however.